BY SOFO ARCHON
Below is a list of some of the most important spiritual lessons that I’ve learned during the course of my life. I hope they’ll assist you in your spiritual journey to discovering peace, joy and contentment.
1. Never let anyone tell you how you should live. Think for yourself and take responsibility for your life.
2. We are all connected. If you help someone, you help yourself. If you hurt someone, you hurt yourself.
3. Don’t hide from your pain. Pain is neither good nor bad, but we can deal with it in good or bad ways.
4. When you drop all expectations about how people should be, you won’t be easily deceived or hurt by them again.
5. All fear ultimately comes down to the fear of death. Unless you become familiar with the idea of dying, you won’t be able to live fully and care-free.
6. You cannot know more about another person than you can about yourself. Hence, the more you understand yourself, the better you will understand others.
7. True love can never be hurt, because it gives without asking anything in return. So even if love is unseen or rejected by those at whom it is directed, it keeps on being what it is.
8. Pleasure and pain are two aspects of the same coin. You can’t have one without the other.
9. By treating the symptom, you won’t cure the disease. Instead, try to get rid of the root-cause.
10. There is no God higher than Love.
11. Don’t focus your attention on what people do. Rather, try to understand the motives behind their actions.
12. Speak the truth, no matter what. Honesty is the key to finding peace with yourself and others.
13. Possessions can possess you. Never let material objects drain your mind or steal your time.
14. Solitude is medicine for the soul. Spend regular time alone, because only this way will you be able to make friends with yourself.
15. Never submit yourself to an abusive partner. True love can flower only under the sun of mutual respect.
16. Don’t fear failure. Every time you fall down, be sure to pick yourself up and try once again.
17. When you lose a friend, don’t hurry to replace them with someone else. Instead, give yourself enough time and space to process your heartache.
18. Don’t mistake passion for love. Passion is a blazing fire, love is a calm breeze.
19. Sometimes your enemies can help you more than your friends. That’s because they’re more willing to point out the negative aspects of yourself.
20. Gratification does not mean contentment. Gratification always comes and goes; contentment can stay with you always.
21. Change yourself before trying to change the world. Unless you embody the change that you want to see in the world, your efforts to change it will be in vain.
22. Don’t judge the people you’re in conflict with. See conflict as an opportunity to better understand others, rather than projecting your own images on them.
23. Love builds bridges between people. Hence, only when there is love can a genuine, heart-to-heart communication take place.
24. Your beliefs shape your perception, just like sunglasses color what you see. Always make sure to question and scrutinize them.
25. Don’t imitate others. Create your own path and walk on it.